Re: Excessive wait for DAM - something needs to be done

Martin Michlmayr - Debian Project Leader <leader@debian.org> writes:
> Request for help are usually very ineffective; examples: apt's
> maintainer asked for help and didn't get any (with the exception that
> mdz has started more apt work, but he worked on apt before so
> effectively there are no new volunteers), Bdale is looking for a
> co-maintainer of ntp as is md for mutt.

I think the problem is that the developers feel reluctant to offer to
help on a mandate position. It is much easier to offer help on a
package than a high profile job, even though help on the job would be
welcomed gladly, like Lars just proved. This just goes to show that
the best way of getting things done is to ask privately from the
person responsible: "I'm willing to help you on X, what should I do to
make things easier for you?" I doubt that any of us would reject such
an offer right away (some personality clashes nonwithstanding).

--
*         Kettering's Law: Logic is an organized way of going wrong       *
*                             with confidence.                            *