Re: default MTA for sarge

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 02:32:36AM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Craig Sanders (cas@taz.net.au) [030715 01:35]:
> > actually, it's trivially easy.  i created my own transport ("vpop" to add
> > X-Original-To headers to POP multidrop mailboxes...obsolete now, postfix can do
> > this natively) within a week of first installing postfix several years ago.
>
> Wow, you're sooo cool. I'm sure most admins can create custom
> transports for both exim4 and postfix a few hours after the first
> installation.

how remiss of me.  i should have waffled on for a few paragraphs about the fact
that i didn't need a custom transport at first, but that when i decided i
wanted one, it only took a few hours to implement.

> > i think your complaints are more telling about yourself than about postfix.
>
> More your answers.

yes, my answers reveal that i actually know what i talk about....that i have
had enough real-world experience on large production mail servers with many
different MTAs that i am actually qualified to make a comparison between them,
unlike most people who have only used the one MTA in the one dinky little toy
setup.

> > exim may work by weird voodoo, but postfix runs on science.  the
> > documentation is clear and concise, there are READMEs and FAQs covering
> > common questions, the default config files and (empty) map files are full
> > of commented documentation, and there are man pages for everything....no
> > need for "sekr1t spells".
>
> I've never needed spells for exim4, and perhaps you should follow your own
> advise and read the documentation. If you have arguments please tell them,
> but stop slandering.

you know, one thing that really annoys me is hypocrisy.  it's OK for somebody
in favour of exim to make ridiculous statements about "sekr1t spells", but it's
not OK to throw stupid arguments like that back in their face?  yeah, right.

craig