Re: plagiarism of reiserfs by Debian

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 05:39:25PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> Can't you understand that as an author you would like that messages
> like this are not removed without your consent? The internet
> robustness principle says: Be liberal in what you accept and
> conservative in what you send. Modifiying code is sending, and
> therefore the debian-maintainers should be conservative in making
> changes against the will of the upstream maintainers. (Formally
> everytihn is different. But the world doesn't work with only viewing
> the formal points.)

Yes, of course I can understand that Hans wouldn't want the message
removed. But look at what Hans is accusing everyone involved in the
Debian project of doing. Plagiarism? Bowldlerization? None of these
accusations are valid, and I'm personally insulted by them, as are
plenty of other people. We know that accidents happen, and as you say,
be conservative in what you send. Reiser has sent out flaring insults
to a large group of volunteers for a simple accident. No matter what,
this was a definite overreaction. The fact that Ed and Reiser were able
to work things out simply is proof of this. Your message works both
ways, and it's obvious to me that upstream authors should give
maintainers as much respect as maintainers give them. Some simple
civility is really all that's called for.

 - David