Re: plagiarism of reiserfs by Debian

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:04:00 +1000, Martin Pool <mbp@sourcefrog.net> said:

> On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:43:24 -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 11:46:32 +1000, Martin Pool
>> <mbp@sourcefrog.net> said:
>>> On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:53:14 -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote: I was
>>> intentionally using moderate language because (a) I don't believe
>>> it is strictly plagiarism (as you say),
>>
>> You need a modifier strictly there? You think it was loosely
>> plagiarism?

> We are going over old ground here: Various organizations contributed
> to development of reiserfsprogs.  They were credited in the upstream
> source, but acknowledgment of their contribution was completely
> removed from one version of the Debian package.  Failing to give
> credit where it is due is not a million miles away from plagiarism.

	Then I suggest you consult a dictionary, and look up
 plagiarism. An error of omission (readily corrected since, you it was
 probably not intetional), is indeed millions of miles away from
 intentionally claiming the work as ones own.

	Indeed, assuming that Debian was in any way close to claiming
 it authored Reiserfs implies a degree of stupidity that is ny itself
 insulting.

>> If you start out by being rude, what ought you to expect?

> I am not in the business of defending Hans's negotiating technique.

>> The fact that the outcome reached meets your desires in no way
>> mitigates the bias you were displaying.

> Can you be more specific about what bias I am supposed to have?

	Downplaying the bletcherousness of  Hans's "negotiating
 technique", and demonising an error of omission on the developers
 part.

	manoj
--
"Lesser artists borrow, great artists steal." Igor Stravinsky