Re: Request for Clue: i18n of fortune-esque things

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 11:38:32PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Joel Baker wrote:
>
> > What I was wondering is whether there is a way to do translations of
> > the fortune data, without having to have 'fortunes-debian-hints-<lang>'
> > packages. Granted, I probably won't be able to do much useful about
> > translating them, myself, but I'd like to at least know if it's doable to
> > support such a thing.
> I just had the idea of translating these hints myself and thus I talked
> with Grisu about using the DDTP server for this purpose.  He promised
> to think about this ...

Certainly I'm all for anything that would manage to translate the text in
the package, be it DDTP or individual volunteers; the question, in some
larger sense, is whether there is a way to have the translations available
in some easily selectable format.

I suppose that simply having multiple text/index files with a language
designation as part of the filename would work, though it feels... ugly.
But perhaps that's an extension for the fortune program itself, at some
point, to support, similar to man's breakdown...
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>