Re: [debian-devel] Status of mICQ code audit

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 23:07, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:
> c) the slander on this mailing list, in particular by Steve Langasek,
> Russel Cooker and Manoj Srivastava

Unable to spell?

Which statements made by me, Steve, and Manoj do you claim to be false?

Why do you believe that I want to maliciously damage your reputation?  I only
know you as the person who published a trojan for upload to Debian.  I have
no disagreement with you apart from your actions in that regard and the fact
that you still appear to be unrepentant, which leads me to believe that I can
never trust you again.

I believe that your claims of slander fail due to lack of malice and of the
accuracy of the messages in question.  For speech to be considered slander it
has to be both false and malicious.  I think you will find great difficulty
in finding evidence of either.

But if there are some particular messages that you believe to contain
deliberately inaccurate information that was knowingly written for the
purpose of defaming you then please provide references to them.

> d) the libel published in the Debian Weekly News of 2003-02-18; cf
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200302/msg01391.html
>
> .. none of those can be fixed by you.

The DWN article in question is at the following URL:
http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2003/07/

Reading that article I don't think that there is any basis for claiming malice
on the part of the author.  Also the article is factually accurate although
very reserved (you should thank the author for being so restrained IMHO).

So your claim of libel seems to fail on the grounds of the material being
factually correct and not of malicious intent.  For published material to be
considered libel it has to be both false and malicious.  I don't think that
anyone would consider the DWN article of week 7 to be either false or
malicious.