Re: plagiarism of reiserfs by Debian

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 01:04:56AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> You can assert a moral right to control how your work is used, or you
> can write Free Software.  You don't get to do both at once.  If Hans
> wants to assert his moral rights, we will certainly respect that; as
> I've said, many Debian developers are also software authors themselves,
> so it certainly shouldn't be said that we don't recognize the value of
> our upstreams' efforts.

Of course, the maintainer would very likely have been willing to put a
more appropriately-sized notice in the program, and it would still be
distributed by Debian so long as it wasn't a requirement.  After all,
maintainers can be reasonably expected to abide by upstream's wishes
(within reason), even wishes that don't have the force of a requirement.

--
Glenn Maynard