Re: plagiarism of reiserfs by Debian

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 02:53:38PM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 23:22:36 -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:

> > On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:25:39PM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> >> "We don't care what the author wants, we have the legal right to
> >> change what we like" is not a good message to send.  Even if you don't

> > Thankfully, Debian isn't sending this message.

> For me (as an author whose software is in Debian) this is exactly how
> it comes across.

> Some people here apparently delight in pissing off upstream authors
> who object to the way their software is modified.  There are plenty of
> posts saying that Debian can do what it likes, and precious few
> acknowledging that Hans ought to have any say in what is done to the
> software he wrote.

> Authors have a moral right (and a legal one in some places) not to
> have their work mutilated.

You can assert a moral right to control how your work is used, or you
can write Free Software.  You don't get to do both at once.  If Hans
wants to assert his moral rights, we will certainly respect that; as
I've said, many Debian developers are also software authors themselves,
so it certainly shouldn't be said that we don't recognize the value of
our upstreams' efforts.  But asserting those rights means relinquishing
any corresponding right to claim that your work is Free; it means
abdicating any possibility that your work will be included in Debian.

While I will certainly respect Hans's rights, his assertion that we have
an obligation to include this advertising blurb, coupled with an
appeal to a solidarity with Free Software authors that he has himself
abandoned, is utterly contemptible.  Whatever the slight, perceived
or real, his slanderous accusations against us are out of line; his
stance of moral superiority, a farce.  Debian policy *requires*
acknowledgement of the contributions of each and every author, in the
form of a copyright file in each package, but this apparently isn't what
Hans wants.  That he believes he's entitled to something more than what
any other Free Software author on the planet asks for just shows how
full of himself he really is.

> I personally would not have put such a large and informal notice in my
> software,

I think this is much more fundamental than you suggest it to be.  You
understand the community spirit of Free Software, and Hans, clearly,
does not.  I hope no stomping on authors' wishes was ever intended;
speaking at least for myself, I try to keep on good terms with my
upstreams, and would happily entertain practically any request from them
(though I might in the end refuse, depending on the circumstances).
Such a spirit of cooperation is a two-way street, however, and Hans
doesn't come across as a very cooperative lad.  If he were really the
upstanding member of the Free Software community that he makes himself
out to be, I would think he'd have learned that in addition to sharing,
*communication* (in contrast with, say, bitching) is a necessary skill
in any community.

Regards,
--
Steve Langasek