Re: New project proposal: debian-lex

On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 15:33, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> * Sami Haahtinen <ressu@ressukka.net>:
>
> > > "lex" is the better word, as it is not only known in English, but also
> > > in most other (roman) Languages for law.
> >
> > Oh right, in finland there is a site finlex.fi, which is ofcouse
> > obviously a site that contains the finnish law. This is the first time
> > i've even heard the definition for 'lex', i support naming it
> > debian-law, so that it's clear for the non-lawyers too.
>
> You forget that "lex, legis (f.)" is well known with lawyers. They'll
> immedialtely recognize it, since so many laws are of roman origin and
> many latin terms occur.

I would have to vote for debian-law, because while lex might be
recognizable by lawyers, everyone who sees it is not going to be a
lawyer.  A good sized portion of them, in fact, will be software
developers.  The first impression such a person would encounter would be
to associate it with something like flex, as mentioned before.  I think
debian-law would create a lot less confusion than debian-lex, but IANADD
so just my two cents.

Mike