Re: /run and read-only /etc

This one time, at band camp, Thomas Hood wrote:
>On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 10:12, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
>> On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 14:17, Thomas Hood wrote:
>> >   * ppp
>> >     * Change /usr/sbin/pppd to:
>> >       * Store PID in /run/, not in /var/run/
>> Why? Is the goal to make PPP-mounter /var to work?!
>
>I suppose someone might want to mount /var/ across a ppp link.
>If we are making the other changes then we might as well make
>this one too, unless there is absolutely no point in doing so
>(... because it is impossible to mount /var/ across a ppp link
>for some reason I am overlooking?).
>
>> If so, pppd has to be moved to /sbin.
>
>Well, /usr/ could be local but /var/ remote.
>
>> > The proposed new directory is for files similar to those in /var/run/
>> > that are not just variable and unshareable but also local -- i.e., they
>> > must be writable independently of network connectivity.
>>
>> No, they must be on the root file system, like /bin and /sbin. Remember
>> the root FS can be network mounted, e.g., over NFS.
>
>How about this then:
>   The proposed new directory is for files that serve similar
>   purposes to those in /var/run and that are not just variable
>   and unshareable but also available early enough to be used
>   by programs in /sbin and /bin.

How about:

  The proposed new directory is for storing program state, for those
  programs that run early in the bootup process such that the relevant
  directory in /var is not yet available.

Thus we don't need to compare /run to /var/run, but make /run available for
the same purposes of the entirety of /var but only in the case that a
required subdirectory of /var doesn't exist.  This works for the case that
some programs need a /var/run and some need a /var/state and some need a
/var/lib for their file; there will be so few programs actually
using /run that there is no need to separate /run into further
subdirectories for each of the /var subdirectories.

--
jaq@debian.org                               http://people.debian.org/~jaq