Re: /run and read-only /etc

This one time, at band camp, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
>On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 14:17, Thomas Hood wrote:
>> The proposed new directory is for files similar to those in /var/run/
>> that are not just variable and unshareable but also local -- i.e., they
>> must be writable independently of network connectivity.
>
>No, they must be on the root file system, like /bin and /sbin. Remember
>the root FS can be network mounted, e.g., over NFS.

That is right!  The core of the matter is not whether filesystems need to be
mounted over the network or not, but whether the parts of the filesystem you
are attempting to write to are on the root filesystem or not.  And as I've
tried to explain numerous times, having /var on a separate partition is
incredibly common (and I hope the people who don't make /var separate aren't
running mail, news, or database servers).

--
jaq@debian.org                               http://people.debian.org/~jaq