Re: /run and read-only /etc

> See? It's easy and almost no package needs to be modified.

Easy for Debian developers, but not for Debian users.

It is possible for the administrator to move all of
those target files and to symlink to them from the
old locations.  But wouldn't it be easier for the admin
if s/he didn't have to do that because Debian developers
had done the job for him -- if the latter had modified the
programs to use the new locations and/or had packaged
the programs with the appropriate symlinks?

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 17:58, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>  >Wishes filed or updated
>  >  * sysvinit
>  >       #150355: Move /etc/motd under /var
> This would be a FHS violation. Use a symlink.

It's true.  3.4 lists motd as a "required file for /etc".
So I guess there also has to be a symlink for now.
I've updated the wish to mention this.  Thanks.

>  >  * util-linux
>  >       #156489: Move /etc/adjtime under /var/lib
> This may have some merit, but you can use a symlink.
>
>  >  * ifupdown
>  >       #84074: Store ifstate under /run
> Use a symlink.

The maintainer seems sympathetic to the change, in principle.

>  >  * ppp
>  >       #187756: Do not treat non-writable /etc/ppp/resolv.conf as error
> Use a symlink or fix your configuration.

pppd writes this file when the usepeerdns option is used.
One can use usepeerdns without using the file.  If one does so,
and one makes the file non-writable, then pppd should not treat
this as an error.

>  >  * pppconfig
>  >       #187810: /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/0dns-up and /etc/ppp/ip-down.d/0dns-down:
>  >         Don't create temporary files in /etc
>  >       #187651: Document how not to futz with /etc/resolv.conf
> Use a symlink or fix your configuration.

You want to set up symlinks for all the temporary file names?
The temporary file names includes the process id, so you are going
to need as many symlinks as there are possible process ids....

And fix one's configuration, yes.  The second item asks for better
documentation of how to do that.

>  >  * linuxlogo
>  >       #187953: Move /etc/linuxlogo* under /var
> Use a symlink.

Why not just move the file?

>  >  * cupsys
>  >       #187954: Move /etc/printcap.cups under /var
> Looks like a genuine FHS bug.
>
>  >  * pam, shadow
>  >      Allow either /etc/nologin or /run/nologin to prevent non-root logins
> Use a symlink.

So no one will ever be able to log in?

>  >  * util-linux
>  >      Use /run/mtab for mount's statefile
> Use a symlink.

J.W.'s patch does create the symlink you desire.

>  >TODO
>  >  * There should be some way of configuring named forwarders
>  >    without modifying /etc/bind/named.conf*.  Should the
>  >    named.conf.options file be stored under /var/lib?  Or
>  >    is there a cleaner solution?
> I'm sure you can master editing named.conf and including a configuration
> file fragment from wherever you want to put it.

A difficulty is that only a whole "options { ... };"
statement can be included from the named configuration file,
not just the "forwarders { ... };" statement inside it.

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood0@yahoo.co.uk>