Re: Proposal: Debian release numbers

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 09:26:40AM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> Jim Penny wrote:
>
> > While mayan does have a certain appeal, why not combine the roman
> > numeral idea and the year of release idea.  The defect with year of
> > release was that it did not allow muliple releases per year.
> >
> > We already have a program in the Debian archives that will solve both of
> > these problems, and can be easily automated: hodie.
> >
> > Using hodie -c -v, we could name the current release (if released today):
> > Debian quarto Idus Ianuarias MMDCCLVI ab urbe condita
>
> "Fourth ide of January 2756"? (I'm not sure what "ab urbe condita"
> means.) How does that translate to 10 January 2003? Is it based on some
> pre-Christian calendar? (The Romans, IIRC, always dated things relative
> to the current Caesar's year of ascension, so presumably that's not what
> you're doing. And I forget exactly what an "ide" is.)

"ab urbe condita" is, I think, "from the founding of the city, i.e.
Rome".  Frankly I have no idea what Idus is, or, why this is the fourth
one.

hodie -c -vv gives
Hodie quarto Idus Ianuarias bis millesimis septingentesimis
quinquagesimis sextis ab urbe condita est

which might be deemed even cooler.

Doesn't that have a ring to it?

Debian quarto Idus Ianuarias bis millesimis septingentesimis
quinquagesimis sextis ab urbe condita

Unfortunately, I doubt that the Romans had a word for penguin, so we
cannot date "from the founding of the penguin".

Jim