Re: Proposal: Debian release numbers

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 09:01:50AM -0600, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:

> >>Actually, why not? This will (kinda) prevent direct comparisons with
> >>other Distros/OSs because it looks totally different. IV, 8.1, 2003. No
> >>real comparision possible, I'd say. And it would make Debian look really
> >>special (which I think is a positive thing).
> >

> >As a computer scientist I cannot support the use of any numbering system
> >which by its very nature prevents zero-indexing!  ;^)
> >
> >noah
> >
> In that case, I propose Mayan numerals as seen in the Long Count on
> stelae (vertical, least significant lowest):

While mayan does have a certain appeal, why not combine the roman
numeral idea and the year of release idea.  The defect with year of
release was that it did not allow muliple releases per year.

We already have a program in the Debian archives that will solve both of
these problems, and can be easily automated: hodie.

Using hodie -c -v, we could name the current release (if released today):
Debian quarto Idus Ianuarias MMDCCLVI ab urbe condita

Jim Penny