On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 04:05:29PM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> An even simpler, more in-your-face approach would simply be to (ab)use
> debconf to put up one of those "informational" dialog boxes saying,
> "This is a non-free program. You might want to consider the following
> free alternatives: ...". This has the advantage that the user is more
> likely to see it (s/he may not look at the package's dependencies), but
> the disadvantage that s/he won't see it at all unless and until a
> non-free package is installed.

Proposals like this will require the cooperation of non-free package
maintainers.  If they feel it is condescending, insulting, misguided, or
whatever to communicate the availability of free alternatives, they will
simply refuse to do this.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     What influenced me to atheism was
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     reading the Bible cover to cover.