Re: Move to python 2.2 as default release?

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 03:25:01PM +0200, Laura Creighton wrote:
> >>On Aug 06, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> >>As the new upstream of python-gnome (for GNOME 2) needs python 2.2 for
> >>building I am wondering when python 2.2 will get the default version
> >>for Debian. Any insights?
> >
> >I believe a consensus was reached on debian-python that we would move
> >to Python 2.3 as the next default Python, skipping 2.2 entirely.
> >

> >My recommendation would be to separately maintain a python
> >2.2-compatible python-gnome and a <2.1 compatible version, at least
> >until the 2.3 release.
> >

> >Chris
> >--
> >Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@olemiss.edu> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/
> >
> >Instructor and Ph.D. Candidate, Political Science, Univ. of Mississippi
> >208 Deupree Hall - 662-915-5765
>
> The new Python Business Forum (www.python-in-business.com) is
> collaborating with the Python developers to produce Python-in-a-Tie,
> a business-targetted release of Python.  This is a 'Sumo-Release',
> which will include other useful Python libraries and programs which
> are not part of the standard Python releases. What we want is a release we
> tell our cyustomers to run which will give them 18 months or so
> during which there is no need for them, as users, not developers, to
> upgrade a to a newer version of Python.  Then we will target a next
> release, and to be the next Python-in-a-Tie.  I am the Chairman of
> the Python-in-a-Tie SIG, and the Python-in-a-Tie release is going
> to be based on 2.2, not 2.1 or 2.3.  Thus 2.2 is the release which
> we are telling Python developers is the release which they should
> write for.  Therefore I think that skipping the 2.2 release in
> favour of the 2.3 would be a mistake.
>
> Please cc any discussion and replies to me since I do not read
> debian-devel.  Thanks very much,

But, this does not say that python2.2 will not be available.  It is,
and, as far as I know, will continue to be.  I think that the general
consensus was that debian would maintain whatever versions we had to,
if Python-in-a-Tie were packaged in debian, it would mark python2.2 as a
requirement, and until said package was either rewritten to use
python2.3+, or removed from the archive, it would be impossible to
remove python2.2.  Nor is it much of a pain for a developer:  scripts
being /usr/bin/python2.2, rather than just /usr/bin/python.  Your group
does not even need to be aware of this; this is something the debian
developer should be taking care of.

There has been dicussion of removing python1.5.  But this is because
there are very few packages left that depend on it.  Debian does not
historically remove packages easily or without thought.

Jim Penny