Re: Move to python 2.2 as default release?

> > Thanks for the post, Laura.  I agree -- Python 2.3 won't be ready for
> > a long time, and I recommend to the Debian folks that they
> > standardize on Python 2.2.  For now, that will be Python 2.2.1; a
> > maintenance release, 2.2.2 will be issued some time later this year.
> >

> But Zope 2.5, one the more popular applications,  requires 2.1.3.
> Can we be more aggressive in changing default versions than Zope?

There's no problem with distributing multiple Python versions.  The
Python Makefile supports "altinstall" which will install Python 2.1.3
as <prefix>/bin/python2.1, and it will happily live alongside a Python
2.2.x installation.  The normal install target installs both "python"
and "python2.x", so Zope could safely say it requires "python2.1".

BTW, Zope 2.6 (soon in beta) appears to run just fine under Python
2.2, even though it's not officially supported; Zope 2.7 (to be
released very soon after 2.6) will officially support (and require)
Python 2.2.