Re: intel's Linux compiler w/ Debian

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 01:15:28PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > Has anyone evaluated Intel's compilers for Linux (C++ or Fortran, details
> > available through: http://developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers/
> > )?

I tried to. Only lately I got the license for icc-6.0 though and the
particular program I compiled with it (mpqc) segfaulted on startup. I
didn't look into it very deeply yet though.

> > Are Intel's compiler's better in any way than the compilers already in
> > Debian (gcc, cxx, icc, others)?

Well, the Fortran-90 compiler is totally uncovered by current packages
in Debian.

> > Can the "non-commercial" versions be packaged in non-free or extra?
>
> They are pay for use so do not see how we could ship it or even really provide
> any support for it.

What do you mean by 'pay for use'? The unsupported non-commercial
version seemed pretty much zero cost for personal or research stuff.

Granted that they would allow distribution (one need a license file from
them anyway), would this qualify for putting into non-free?

> I heard it produces more optimized binaries but of course this is only true on
> real Intel procs, not AMD or what not.

As long as your AMD has ISSI(2) or whatever it's called it would get
optimized, too.

Michael