Re: intel's Linux compiler w/ Debian

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 10:31:47AM -0500, Drew Scott Daniels wrote:
> I think it's worth supporting as an interesting program. It might produce
> faster binaries, it might produce smaller binaries (usually both go hand
> in hand, but not always)

I'd just like to chime in on this. I actually suffered the humiliation
of trying to install the Intel compiler out of morbid curiosity today.
I was hoping to get smaller binaries from it (not that I'd just it,
but just to confirm that gcc has room for improvement ;) ). However, I
couldn't seem to find any combination of flags that would reduce the
stripped binary size to significantly below 2x the gcc -Os output. The
compiler seems to be geared towards C++, and it links in its C++ and
runtime libraries to whatever you compile with it.

It's worth noting that this probably means that anything you compile
with icc contains proprietary code. This is a much more serious
problem than icc's own proprietary nature. I can't say that I've
looked up the license that these libraries are under, but for some
reason I doubt it's DFSG-free.