Re: 88 Priority violations in woody

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 06:23:32PM -0400, Thomas Hood wrote:
> At
> http://qa.debian.org/debcheck.php?dist=testing&list=priority&arch=ANY
> you can peruse the 88 packages which violate Debian policy section
> 2.2, which says that the priority of a package cannot be higher
> than the priority of one of its dependencies.
> These are all policy violations.
> Since these are all policy violations, they are all "serious" bugs.
> Since they are all "serious" bugs, they are all RC bugs.
> None of the package bts pages I examined had this violation
> reported as a bug.  So it looks to me as if there are about
> 88 RC bugs still to fix, apart from the ones on the RC bug page.

Since there are so many of them, and since they need ftpmaster to change
the overrides before they can be fixed, filing 88 reports is a waste
of everyone's time and energy, especially mine. Don't do it. If you
absolutely feel you must report a bug now, file a single one against
ftp.debian.org.

Looking for these sorts of bugs at this point in time is _not_ the right
way to go about improving Debian's quality. It's nothing more than an
irritating distraction. If you're serious about doing something useful,
make a note of problems you find now for yourself, and spend the eight
months or so following the release finding more and helping fix the ones
you've already found. Don't disappear for a year and then spend the week
before release trying to be "helpful".

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''