Re: FYI: dh_upx compresses i386 executables

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:14:36 +0100, cjw44@flatline.org.uk (Colin Watson) wrote:
> >> you want.  The postinst code would call the compression routines,
> >> which might not do anything, depending on how the compressing package
> >> was configured (i.e., it wouldn't call the compressing code directly,
> >> but through a wrapper).
>
> Not if UPX were to be an option for all binaries. Having to add stuff to
> every package's postinst is evil (see /usr/doc, although that was
> necessary).

It seems to me that each maintainer should make the decision of
whether she wants UPX to apply to any of her binaries.  And the
easiest way to do that, IMO, is to have her add

  [ -x install-upx ] && install-upx /usr/bin/foo /usr/bin/bar

to her postinst or

  dh_upx

to her rules.  /usr/doc was evil for a number of reasons other than
adding a line to postinst.

You seem to want *all* binaries compressed.  I'm suggesting that some
binaries are best left uncompressed, and that that would be the
maintainer's decision.

-itai