Re: FYI: dh_upx compresses i386 executables

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 09:14:41AM -0400, Itai Zukerman wrote:

> It seems to me that each maintainer should make the decision of
> whether she wants UPX to apply to any of her binaries.  And the
> easiest way to do that, IMO, is to have her add
>
>   [ -x install-upx ] && install-upx /usr/bin/foo /usr/bin/bar
>
> to her postinst or

fine

>   dh_upx
>
> to her rules.  /usr/doc was evil for a number of reasons other than

NO! this would absolutly suck.  that leaves the admin in the position
to have to rebuild the package or fsck with decompression every time
the package is upgraded to get a fulltime normal non-upx binary if
they don't want this crap.

> You seem to want *all* binaries compressed.  I'm suggesting that some
> binaries are best left uncompressed, and that that would be the
> maintainer's decision.

and more importantly the admins' decision.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/