Re: NMUers: STOP BEING STUPID

On 23-Apr-01, 18:52 (CDT), Sean 'Shaleh' Perry <shaleh@valinux.com> wrote:
> This would prevent the NMUers from doing things like debhelper/debconfizing
> packages without the maintainer's consent, as well as keep NMU bugs down.

NMUs should *never* change the build/install process to such an
extent.  NMUs are for fixing bugs in packages that are not being
maintained (perhaps temporarily, while maintainer is on vacation). Until
debhelper/debconf become required, such a substantial modification
should be prohibited.

This isn't a matter of oversight, simply common-sense.

If the package has been unmaintained for so long that one person is
effectively the full-time maintainer via NMUs, then they need to adopt
the package.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read