Re: (g)mc-4.5.38-2 still broken

* Philip Hands said:

> > > No no, it isn't mc script but only function in your ~/.bash_profile or
> > > global /etc/profile.
> > Exactly that was the point. The function executes in the context of the
> > current shell, not in the child shell which is created when a #!/bin/bash
> > script is invoked.
>
> Fair enough, then it's something to mention in the package's
> documentation, since packages are forbidden from playing with users'
> environments by policy (for very good reasons).
Well, after giving it a little thought it seems right - the only one
entitled to mess with the private startup scripts is the user himself.

> > > BTW,
> > > /usr/bin/mcedit is a symlink to /etc/bin/mc which is an only wrapper.
> > I'd vote for removal of the wrapper script for three reasons: 1) it's a
> > bashism, 2) it's a waste of memory, 3) it can be done more elegantly.
>
> More important IMO is the fact that it cannot work as a script, so
> there is little point including it as a script.
That too. Besides if someone really wants to stay in the last selected
directory, he should read the manpage. But, to let the people know that
there exists such possibility, perhaps it would be good to announce it
during MC installation phase? It seems that people are used to this behavior
- from the good'n'old NC :))

marek