Re: (g)mc-4.5.38-2 still broken

Marek Habersack <grendel@vip.net.pl> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> * Piotr Roszatycki said:
>
> > > Well that won't work will it?
> > >
> > > Try running this:
> > >
> > >   cd /tmp; ( cd /etc; pwd );  pwd
> >
> > No no, it isn't mc script but only function in your ~/.bash_profile or
> > global /etc/profile.
> Exactly that was the point. The function executes in the context of the
> current shell, not in the child shell which is created when a #!/bin/bash
> script is invoked.

Fair enough, then it's something to mention in the package's
documentation, since packages are forbidden from playing with users'
environments by policy (for very good reasons).

> > I'm afraid many people have some kind of function or aliases related
> > to _real_ mc binary and current mc wrapper can broke it.
> Yes, I was one of them.
>
> > BTW,
> > /usr/bin/mcedit is a symlink to /etc/bin/mc which is an only wrapper.
> I'd vote for removal of the wrapper script for three reasons: 1) it's a
> bashism, 2) it's a waste of memory, 3) it can be done more elegantly.

More important IMO is the fact that it cannot work as a script, so
there is little point including it as a script.

Cheers, Phil.