Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

Tuesday, September 14, 1999, 11:20:41 AM, Jakob wrote:
> Read the FHS.

    Why?  I'm criticizing the inclusion of /opt.  The mere fact that FHS has
it means I an criticizing it as well.

> as a site admin, install (for instance) emacs 18 from source, I can put it
> in /usr/local and be assured that OS upgrades won't touch it. But if I
> install (for instance, again) Wordperfect, it should install in
> /opt/wordperfect or similar. This way it won't attack my /usr/local tree,
> and won't be overwritten by OS upgrades.

    I again ask what is the difference?  How will /usr/local/wordperfect
clobber anything that you do as opposed to /opt/wordperfect?

    HINT FOR THE CLUE IMPAIRED:  It doesn't in either case.  /opt is utterly
superfluous.