Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Steve Lamb wrote:

>     I again ask what is the difference?  How will /usr/local/wordperfect
> clobber anything that you do as opposed to /opt/wordperfect?
>
>     HINT FOR THE CLUE IMPAIRED:  It doesn't in either case.  /opt is utterly
> superfluous.

Perhaps wordperfect was a bad example. I'll try to explain it a little
differently, and I'll type more slowly.

The /usr/local hierarchy is for system administrator use. This is where
you install programs that you have FULL control over (e.g. you have the
source, you can modify the source, you can dink with the files there and
either not break anything or be able to fix it easily). This is your
playground.

The /opt hierarchy is where ISVs install software. If you dink with stuff
there, something will likely break. You generally DON'T have the source to
things in /opt. It's analagous to C:\Program Files on a Windows machine.
Look, but don't touch. Leave things alone, and they should work.

Again: /usr/local is what YOU control, /opt is what THEY control.

Any questions?

--
Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo - jkaivo@ndn.net - http://www.ndn.net/
"As time goes on, my signature gets shorter and shorter..." - me