Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Steve Lamb wrote:

> Tuesday, September 14, 1999, 10:44:07 AM, Raul wrote:
> > We support this, in principle. However, for it to work we need to
> > convince third party distrib to package their software to run in /opt/.
> > [And note that it doesn't really matter whether they're packaging for red
> > hat or debian or whoever -- alien makes that something of a non-issue.]
>
>     Why opt?  Why a new level on the tree which simply duplicates what already
> exists elsewhere?  *sigh*

Read the FHS. It says that /usr/local is the sole domain of the site
administrator, whereas /opt us to be used by ISVs to install packages. For
example, if I, as a site admin, install (for instance) emacs 18 from
source, I can put it in /usr/local and be assured that OS upgrades won't
touch it. But if I install (for instance, again) Wordperfect, it should
install in /opt/wordperfect or similar. This way it won't attack my
/usr/local tree, and won't be overwritten by OS upgrades.

--
Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo - jkaivo@ndn.net - http://www.ndn.net/
"As time goes on, my signature gets shorter and shorter..." - me