Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 10:57:26AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>     Why opt?  Why a new level on the tree which simply duplicates what already
> exists elsewhere?  *sigh*

Near as I can tell you didn't read what you're responding to.

I'll expand one point that maybe I didn't spell out enough:

some software is not expected to follow debian policy in any detail
(beyond the fact that debian provides the same base interfaces as
sibling linux systems), and some of that software is not built by the
local sysadmin.

--
Raul