Re: Debian is not a "main distro"?

On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 12:17:02PM +0200, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> >> "EZ" == Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> writes:
>
> >> "Me?  Use a package manager?  When hell freezes!"
>
> EZ> IIRC, they use "installpkg" to install a Slackware tgz. That does a
>
> Well, on #debian, I spoke to one of these guys. He said he wants to
> compile everything on his own. Because this way he will learn more. He
> doesn't want any precompiled stuff and such.

He still can do that with Debian. He can rebuild everything from upstream
sources or use the debian patches and "makefiles" (debian/rules). Just
like in Slackware, only better (last time I tried I couldn't rebuild some
Slack packages because of missing patches).

> I don't understand these guys. They waste so much time on
> timeconsuming routine work ...

My point is, with Debian they can waste their time as well if they like
that, there's nothing they can do with Slackware that can not be done with
Debian. And they have a few benefits, even for "die-hards": full FSSTND
compliance (FHS soon), up-to-date packages, active development, better
support...

I think it's just a matter of perception, and a few misconceptions about
Debian and deb packages...

--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es