Re: Optimizing arch-independent game data (png, for example)

2008/5/13 Gonéri Le Bouder <goneri@rulezlan.org>:

> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 03:45:48PM +0200, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
>  > 2008/5/13 Jens Seidel <jensseidel@users.sf.net>:
>  >
>  > >  Ah, you want to compress is during package build, not in upstream
>  > >  source? I think it should be done from upstream as a few bytes saved is
>  > >  not a good reason to delay a package build. But it is very effective for
>  > >  a package why not, depends on the requires time and the costs ...
>  >
>  > Yup. It should be conceptually an equivalent to strip, but for arch
>  > indep data. It shouldn't be mandatory to repackage upstream source, we
>  > all know the benefits of keeping upstream source as untouched as
>  > possible.
>  >
>  > I think the proper place to do so would be in debian/rules. The only
>  > downside effect I see it that it will be more costly to build the
>  > package, but then again, it would only be once for all the
>  > architectures, and it will usually be really done by the uploader, as
>  > I don't think any autobuilder will need to remake it ever again.
>
>  Can we imagine a debhelper script for that like dh_pngcompress?

Maybe Joey can tell us if/how it would be possible?

In fact, maybe it would be a good idea to think more globally and do a
dh_grxcompress or something like that, maybe we could think about
expanding it to handle jpegs too sometime?

Miry

PS: CCing Joey Hess

( thread starts in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2008/05/msg00078.html )