Re: Optimizing arch-independent game data (png, for example)

2008/5/13 Jens Seidel <jensseidel@users.sf.net>:

>  Ah, you want to compress is during package build, not in upstream
>  source? I think it should be done from upstream as a few bytes saved is
>  not a good reason to delay a package build. But it is very effective for
>  a package why not, depends on the requires time and the costs ...

Yup. It should be conceptually an equivalent to strip, but for arch
indep data. It shouldn't be mandatory to repackage upstream source, we
all know the benefits of keeping upstream source as untouched as
possible.

I think the proper place to do so would be in debian/rules. The only
downside effect I see it that it will be more costly to build the
package, but then again, it would only be once for all the
architectures, and it will usually be really done by the uploader, as
I don't think any autobuilder will need to remake it ever again.

Miry