Re: list of orphaned / RFA games

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 10:50:46AM -0500, Barry deFreese wrote:

>>> Ack, RMed
>>>

>> NACK, ITA'd.
>>

> Are you going to bring it in to the games team?  I was going to do that
> this morning.

OK, no problem. Consider my ITA obsolete, feel free to adopt it.

>>> ack, RM requested.
>>>

>> Is another quake2 engine available in Debian which you can use to play
>> the original game data (and/or the shareware data)? I don't want this to
>> be removed if there's no alternative. If nobody else steps up I might
>> volunteer to maintain it.
>>

> It has an RC bug that can't be fixed from people that I have talked too.

Which one?

There's some security bug I found, but that has some patches or at least
a patch which warns you about the security risks. Also, the bug is in
the game server AFAICS, so single-player mode should not be affected.

Either way, pretty much all games in Debian must be assumed to have
security bugs, but that's no reason to remove the package. On a box
where security plays an important role (server etc) no sane admin would
install games anyway - for very good reasons.

> What good is that going to do?

What good is removing the package going to do?

> If it is that important, let's package another engine quickly.

As soon as there's another engine in unstable/testing which
allows you to play the original game without any regressions
compared to the quake2 package -- why not... But that's not the case
yet, AFAIK, so IMO the package should stay.

>>> RM requested.
>>>

>> Did you check whether there are games which work in nagi but not in
>> scummvm (yet)?
>>

> No, I asked the question, I didn't ask for the removal.

Ah, yes, the question was more directed at Lucas Nussbaum, sorry.

>>> ack, RM requested.
>>>

>> NACK, ITA'd.
>>
> Why?

Because it's a nice game and I want to maintain it? "We already have
3dchess and dreamchess" is no reason for removal, neither is "there's a
bug in the code". Bugs can be fixed.

Cheers, Uwe.