Re: Returning from "vacation". (MIA?)

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 11:27:31PM -0500, Clay Crouch wrote:

> I hate to start off my return to the Project this way, but I just can't let
> this one go unanswered. :^(

Perhaps not, but you could have answered more civilly.  A triumphant return,
indeed.

But, if we must...

> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:48:45PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 07:05:38PM -0500, Clay Crouch wrote:
> >
> > > And please don't be offended by the .sig.
> >
> > That .sig is problematic beyond just its content; it is 12 lines long and
> > adds almost 1kb to each of your messages (probably longer than the contents
> > of many messages).  Refer to RFC 1855 or any other netiquette document for
> > further information.
>
> Hmmm.... An ettiquette lesson before a "welcome back" and a work assignemnt,
> just because you find my anti-spam measures draconian and my filter bypass
> info in my sig to be annoying.

It is a gross disservice to your fellow developers who need to contact you
in order to do useful work.  Do you expect everyone who might ever need to
contact you to read debian-devel and find out about this ridiculous practice
of yours?  Or do you send one of those obnoxious autoreplies asking people
to confirm their messages to you?

> Rest assured, I made my choice of anti-spam tactics while being fully
> informed about several other filtering options. I couldn't possibly care
> less what you do or do not recommend for spam filtration techniques.

It is reassuring to know that I will not be suffering any disadvantage from
being unable to experience the enjoyable and productive experience of
exchanging email with you.  Clearly your filter is not the only problem in
getting through to you.

> Five percent failure, eh? Try zero percent, with zero false positives.

Zero percent?  That would imply that you never get any spam via
debian-devel, since you said that you do not apply your filter to those
messages.

Hah.

Hahahah.

Not to mention the legitimate mail that you lose because people are not
interested in jumping through hoops for the pleasure of contacting you.

> Can the QA team use an additional 5-20 hours a week of volunteer help
> from an already-registered Developer?

I'm afraid they can't hear you.  They have their anti-"spam" filters on, and
you forgot to include the magic passphrase in the subject of your message.
This week, it's "woozle-wuzzle".

--
 - mdz