Re: Returning from "vacation". (MIA?)

*sigh*

I hate to start off my return to the Project this way, but I just can't let
this one go unanswered. :^(

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:48:45PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 07:05:38PM -0500, Clay Crouch wrote:
>
> > And please don't be offended by the .sig.
>
> That .sig is problematic beyond just its content; it is 12 lines long and
> adds almost 1kb to each of your messages (probably longer than the contents
> of many messages).  Refer to RFC 1855 or any other netiquette document for
> further information.

Hmmm.... An ettiquette lesson before a "welcome back" and a work assignemnt,
just because you find my anti-spam measures draconian and my filter bypass
info in my sig to be annoying.

Charming, to be sure....

Pleased to meet you....

*plonk*

And yes.... I am fully aware of "nettiquette" and it's dim view on long
sigs. I had planned to trim out the text that caused you so much angst
after a few transmissions, once anyone here who might give a damn had
actually seen it.

I drop that tagline into any new places I venture about 5 times before
I trim it, as a standard practice. Since I've been gone a while, d-d
sort of qualifies as "new" for the purpose, don't ya think?

> > Procmail is a godsend, dealing with anywhere between 25 to 100 spams a day
> > on three of my email addresses. I will see anything on debian-devel and on
> > debian-private, but if anyone sends me private mail, please follow the
> > directions below....
>
> This approach tends to cause a lot of headaches for people who legitimately
> want to contact you; I do not recommend it.  Try bogofilter, spamassassin
> and the like instead.  I receive over 100 spam emails per day, and less than
> 5% make it past bogofilter, with zero false positives so far.

Rest assured, I made my choice of anti-spam tactics while being fully
informed about several other filtering options. I couldn't possibly
care less what you do or do not recommend for spam filtration techniques.

Five percent failure, eh? Try zero percent, with zero false positives.

And the "headaches" for "legitimate" communications are almost all mine,
since I make the choices and adjust ~/.procmailrc accordingly.

*plonk*

Now....

Can the QA team use an additional 5-20 hours a week of volunteer help
from an already-registered Developer? Could the Project use another
Alpha autobuilder? If not....

Cheers!
/ Clay Crouch                      | <danno@danno.tzo.com>          \
| PGP 94781680: 020E 793B 455D 9737 5956 1A3B 0AE8 807A 9478 1680   |
| GPG 7D2AD631: 2319 2356 FEDF 4631 63F3 762A E443 1C2A 7D2A D631   |
| I loathe spam. Therefore, I have procmail set up to send mail to  |
| /dev/null by default, unless your address matches a rule. To send |
| me mail, put "PASSTHRU-UNFILTERED" in the subject line to dodge   |
| the one-way trip to /dev/null. I will add your address to my      |
| filter, so you only have to do this once per address. :^)         |