Re: Do not touch l10n files (was Re: DDTP issue)

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 12:37:46PM +0200, Martin Quinson wrote:

> If I understand well, you are bored because you think that the layout used
> in french could be good in all languages, but the french translators sort of
> kept it for themselves.

> But we didn't do that because we don't think that the french typographical
> rules should be used in all languages, as well as we think that the english
> typographical rules do not apply in French.

If you're going to do something as substantial as this why not drop the
maintainer an e-mail about it?  Tell them things like what you intend to
do and that while you don't know if it's appropriate for other language
it's needed for yours for whatever reason.  That way maintainers know
what's going so they don't get surprised looking at what you've done and
if the change is something they want to pick up in general then they
can.

> For example, we always put a space before the colon symbol (a non-breaking
> space when technically possible), but we won't repport as an error in the
> original text a colon without space before (as requiered by english
> typographical rules). That's the same kind of thing for us.

Changing from a paragraph of text to a bulleted list is a rather more
substantial change than that - it looks like the text has been
restructured.