Re: Do not touch l10n files (was Re: DDTP issue)

Hi;

[I reply to this message, since I am the guy who translates the
Description]

On tue 13 may 2003 at 06:57 +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
[...]
> > Now Apache maintainers are telling us that they chose another layout
> > and we are bound to it.
>
> Yes because the official maintainer is responsable for the description of
> a package. Including the layout and this was told already in the same
> message above.

Please try to consider that each language as its particularity.

> > This is stupid, our constraints are different,
> > so I do not see why we could not adopt another format if it is more
> > adequate for our own language.
>
> File a wishlist bug as you were told already:
>
> http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

A whishlist bug against what ? Against the French Language because we
do use an itemized list where English uses a different layout ?

> > Of course if there are good reasons
> > to promote a given layout, you can give them[1], but telling that
> > ``this is done that way in English so you must adopt this format
> > too'' is insane.
>
> You still were not able to explain us why the previous translation had the
> same layout than.... (still in the same message as before)

We are performing a lot of reviews to ensure that the quality of the
translation is good. 3 translators were agreed to use this translation.

> > In conclusion, please do not try to impose your views on how
> > translations should look like in your package.
>
> There are policies for description. DDTP as developers have to respect
> them. but i guess it is not your case since according to your post you do
> not contribute to any of them.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-french/2003/debian-l10n-french-200305/msg00166.html

I do. Denis kindly answers to your message because he is _very_ relevant
with i18n and l10n.

Try to understand what Denis means. The problem on that very problem is
that you would not admit that we are true (from the translator's point of
view).

Generaly speeking, we (people aware of l10n and i18n) believe that the
maintainer's job is not to deal with these issues. Translators are
bored to fix maintainers mistakes. Moreover, I believe that a maintainer
should not loose his time on l10n.

> > You have to make sure that translations are up to date and correct, but
> > when you edit translated files yourself, you are most of the times
> > making translator's life harder without any gain for our end users.
>
> Why do you think we did ask kindly to have the french layout alligned with
> all the others? and we did not changed it ourself? Because we did not want
> to change the contents of the description even for a typo but having its
> layout alligned with the others.

The question is Why do you want to have its layout alligned with the
others ?

Cheers,
--
                                Pierre Machard