Re: Do not touch l10n files (was Re: DDTP issue)

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 09:42:16AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:

> If you really believe that the apache description should be improved than
> you file a bug against apache asking to changing layout, proposing the
> better one so that everyone can be alligned to it.

If I understand well, you are bored because you think that the layout used
in french could be good in all languages, but the french translators sort of
kept it for themselves.

But we didn't do that because we don't think that the french typographical
rules should be used in all languages, as well as we think that the english
typographical rules do not apply in French.

> > We are performing a lot of reviews to ensure that the quality of the
> > translation is good. 3 translators were agreed to use this translation.
>
> We did not, i will repeat this until the end of the world, discuss the
> quality of the contents. We are discussing the layout.

No, not exactly. We are not discussing esthetical layout here.

This layout in french is not only esthetical, it must be so because of
typographical rules[1]. That's why we didn't think that all languages must
follow the same rules. In written french, the typographical rules have
almost the same impact than gramatical ones.

But feel free to adapt this new layout to the original text if you want
to. Only, don't try to prevent us to follow the rules in our language.

For example, we always put a space before the colon symbol (a non-breaking
space when technically possible), but we won't repport as an error in the
original text a colon without space before (as requiered by english
typographical rules). That's the same kind of thing for us.

Bye, Mt.

[1] Lexique des règles typographiques en usage à l'imprimerie nationale,
ISBN: 2743304820. Available at:
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/2743304820/qid%3D1047692993/sr%3D1-4/ref%3Dsr%5F1%5F2%5F4/402-2014446-9559346

--
Don't drink as root!