Re: libtool crap [Re: SDL c102 transition]

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 16:44, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le ven 14/03/2003 à 15:24, Scott James Remnant a écrit :
> > 2) Don't set dependency_libs if link_all_deplibs is "no".  This means
> >    that the dependency_libs line in the .la file will be empty, because
> >    the linker can handle it.  It *ALSO* means that the dependency_libs
> >    line from .la files will not be considered when linking (ie you don't
> >    need to recompile everything on your system).
>
> I don't know what happens when you don't put that stuff in the .la.
> Shouldn't it still be used when linking statically ?

*nods* it fails when linking statically...

I have a fix (moving the logic "one line up"[0]) but then that still
fails if you do:

program -> a.so -> b.a -> c.so

(a.so doesn't get linked with the dependencies of b.a, which it would
need to.  I'm working on that, probably just needs some logic to decide
whether linking a static or shared library in there.)

> > I'm almost positive this will break things, so be very very careful.
> > Don't just apply this because you like the idea, if you're going to use
> > this patch *ASSUME* your software will be broken, and test very very
> > hard accordingly.
>
> Even if we're probably going to have some issues with it, I hardly see
> how it could be more broken than the current behaviour.

Current behaviour isn't *broken*, it's just mildly warped.

> > How to apply...  libtoolize && aclocal && autoconf your software, then
> > apply the two patches below.  The first patches "ltmain.sh" which should
> > be the same as the file I based the patch on (1.4.3-7).  The second
> > patches "aclocal.m4" (specifically the bits that would have come from
> > libtool.m4).  I deliberately changed one that's probably closest to most
> > people's (automake & libtool), but you'll probably find that your patch
> > is offset by a few lines.
>
> I guess that patch has to be applied before running autoconf, or else it
> won't be very useful.

The aclocal.m4 patch, yes - sorry forgot to mention that.  The ltmain.sh
patch needs to be applied before you run "configure" (which you'll need
to to regenerate libtool)

Scott

[0] this being libtool, of course, the line is ~500 lines up
--
Scott James Remnant     Have you ever, ever felt like this?  Had strange
http://netsplit.com/      things happen?  Are you going round the twist?