Re: libtool crap [Re: SDL c102 transition]

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 06:38:28PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mar 11/03/2003 à 16:29, Steve Langasek a écrit :
>
> > > 3) do the necessary so that SDL_mixer doesn't link unnecessary with
> > > libsdtc++ anymore (is that a libtool bug ?).
> >
> > And how.  I'm considering ripping the .la files out of all of my packages
> > because of this; see #180496.

> I don't see any good reason for linking explicitly with libraries you
> don't really depend on. If it is not possible to deactivate that (the
> documentation mentions $link_all_deplibs, but it doesn't seem to do
> that), maybe it would be wiser to stop using libtool at all.

I don't think there's any question that it would be wiser to stop using
libtool.  Unfortunately, many upstreams care (God knows why) about making
sure their complex library projects are portable to arcane Unix
platforms.  The hoops libtool jumps through are the only way to get some
libraries to work as intended on AIX, HPUX, et al.; but Debian is
penalized in the process.

I'm all for writing a libtool replacement that provides portability to
*sane* platforms.  Maybe I'll start a mailing list.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer