Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:22:05AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 09:20:08PM -0500, sean finney wrote:

> > > i mean, either way, something's probably going to have to be hacked
> > > in a somewhat less-than-graceful manner...  so for example, with
> > > a daemon trying to write to /var/run, it can try and write there,
> > > and if it can't because /var/run doesn't exist yet, it complains,
> > > sleeps for some interval, and tries again?

> > Most of the affected programs are one-shot startup scripts, not daemons.

> The only program I know if that really needs it is ifupdown, which just
> needs to write out the state at the end. I'll bet aj won't like the idea
> though, it is sorta gross.

The affected files include ifstate, mtab, and the /lib/modules cruft.
It was suggested that /etc/motd should also be moved to /run, though
this file doesn't seem volatile enough to belong there (indeed, it's
sufficiently non-volatile that not being able to write to it on startup
isn't a serious problem).  It can be argued that /etc/adjtime is also in
the wrong place, though it isn't used early enough in the boot sequence
that it couldn't be placed in /var/lib.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer