Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 01:30:27PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> - need shared memory? use /dev/shm
> - need to put info somewhere that doesn't have to be kept between
>   boots? /var/run
> - same but need it before /var is mounted? /run

If it's needed only at boot time before /var is mounted, why not using
something under /boot, /boot/state for example (/me ducks and hides),
and then move/copy/link things the proper way after /var has come up?

> - same but need it even when / is read-only ? /run, setup by the
>   sysadmin to be on a tmpfs

Although / could be read-only, /var is not: for normal (i.e. not early)
system usage, /var should be used and /run becomes unnecessary.

Bye,

Enrico