Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 23:46:18 -0400
Luke Seubert <ls.maillist@verizon.net> wrote:

> I believe I understand your point.  Is the idea to use a label like "Web
> Browser", instead of a label like "Explorer", or a proper name like,
> "Galeon"?

all of a sudden 50 sourceforge projects change their name to editor(1),
editor(2)..... editor(50), Imagine the absolute disaster if this concept
was extended to the command line.

Being able to choose/identify one project over the other is of fundamental
importance.

It will be much harder for newbies to get help if they cant even workout
the real name of the program they dont know how to use.

And how boring will the editor/compiler/web browser flame wars be...
My favourite text editor is "text editor", my favourite compiler is
"compile" (but i keep getting syntax errors), my favourite web browser is
"web browser"

User friendliness can go too far, once you know what your doing it just
gets in the way.

Glenn