Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 01:00:28AM +1000, Glenn McGrath scribbled:
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 23:46:18 -0400
> Luke Seubert <ls.maillist@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > I believe I understand your point.  Is the idea to use a label like "Web
> > Browser", instead of a label like "Explorer", or a proper name like,
> > "Galeon"?
>
> all of a sudden 50 sourceforge projects change their name to editor(1),
> editor(2)..... editor(50), Imagine the absolute disaster if this concept
> was extended to the command line.
That would be obviously ridiculous.

> Being able to choose/identify one project over the other is of fundamental
> importance.
Sure, the name can be given in the parentheses as it was suggested elsewhere
in this thread. Also, I feel that we tend to forget one thing - we're
talking about a basic desktop for a newbie. What you described above is
likely to happen on an advanced user's desktop - but such a user will have a
way and enough knowledge to modify the settings so that they make sense for
them. For example, it should be possible (apart from the Basic vs. Advanced
menu thing) to switch between three or four modes of displaying the menu entries,
IMHO:

1. labels (Web Browser, Movie Player, Terminal Emulator)
2. labels with the project name (Web Browser [Galeon], Movie Player
   [mplayer], Terminal Emulator [mlterm])
3. project name
4. long project name

The task of Debian Desktop should be to make the above possible and provide
a well-defined transition path from Newbie to Adanced User.

> It will be much harder for newbies to get help if they cant even workout
> the real name of the program they dont know how to use.
I don't think so. Newbie should not have too much choice _by default_.

marek