Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On 10/25/2002 4:09 AM, Emile van Bergen at emile-deb@evbergen.xs4all.nl
wrote:

> This is a very good idea, in principle. I think that verbs instead of
> nouns for things to click on make the computer more predictable,
> generally.

Agreed.  This is usually good UI design practice.  Sometimes it can't be
done because of the need for brevity however :-/

> I agree, but I disagree with calling this 'debrainifying'. We're only
> too easy in assuming that there are only two categories of users: 1.
> competent ones, 2. stupid people.  There's actually a third category
> that's probably most important of all, that's 3. intelligent people
> without feeling for or experience with computers.

Yup.  I would classify such folks as Intermediate Users.  And let us
remember that utter newbies who do a lot of exploring can become
sufficiently proficient that they too become Intermediate Users.  Such users
would enjoy a menu design with some more options and a bit more complexity
if it rewards them with enough power and capability.

Cheers,
Luke Seubert