Re: the netbase/inetd conspiracy

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 11:58:07AM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > As far as I can tell, the only intended effect of deleting the file
> > is to make inetd abort when it starts, to ensure that it will never run.
> > At first glance, I can't find any other way to do it.
> Add exit 0 at the top of /etc/init.d/inetd

Which has been the recommended way of disabling services for years and
years, so I don't see why someone who's been around longer than I have
wouldn't realise that.

The other problem with doing this is that inetd doesn't particularly
support having it's config file removed on it -- the init script will give
you a random error but start the program anyway, and the program will keep
running -- the only upside is that it won't open any ports deliberately.

Any time spent on improving inetd is better spent making it support
invoke-rc.d or making it easier to remove it. Removing the config file
is *not* a good way to disable a service.

Cheers,
aj