Re: the netbase/inetd conspiracy

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 08:59:03PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 08:46:20PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > > I guess I just don't think of inetd as terribly heavy.  It's easy to
> > > turn off, and it's a small program.  Makes this seem like a lot of
> > > work then, since we have all kinds of programs that *somebody* might
> > > have no use for, but we don't bother trying to factor, say, fileutils
> > > into a jillion different packages.
> > The difference is that fileutils doesn't offer services to other hosts
> > on the network.
> I should have said it's easy turn inetd off.  Oh wait, I did say that.

There's no need to get snippy, least of all about something you've
already indicated doesn't bother you.

It is easy to turn off, but that's not as good as it could be for two
reasons: one is that you have to turn it off when the system can be
smart enough to not turn it on it the first place if it's not needed,
and the second is that if you don't want it turned on, by far the easiest
and safest way of ensuring that is to not have it installed in the first
place. Maybe you don't care about the difference, but other people do.

Cheers,
aj