Re: enabling/disabling daemons

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 09:16:29PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> hmh has a point about invoke-rc.d making this unnecessary. Just want to
> point out that we also have a /etc/default/ directory in policy now that
> works similarly to the bsd one.

It's somewhat similar, except in BSD it generally holds defauld values
which are overridden elsewhere; you never need to edit the files in
/etc/default/ on a BSD system.  This has the advantage that it's always
very easy to find the default of a certain value, and to revert back to
it if you need to.  We don't necessarily need to use it the same way
they do (we are putting it to good use, in any case) but they do have a
nice approach.

I wonder if perhaps /etc/default might be the wrong name in our case.
Perhaps /etc/common/ or /etc/share/ or something.  I am not sure that
it's worth the effort to change it, at this point.  Hell, /etc itself is
a complete misnomer, but it's not likely to change any time soon.

noah