Re: enabling/disabling daemons

Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> When you install the ssh package, you are asked a debconf question "Do
> you want to run the ssh server?".  If you say no, then a file
> /etc/ssh/sshd_not_to_be_run is created.  The sshd init script checks for
> the existance of this file and does not start sshd if it exists.
> Postgresql also has this kind of functionality, but it's implemented
> completely different.

hmh has a point about invoke-rc.d making this unnecessary. Just want to
point out that we also have a /etc/default/ directory in policy now that
works similarly to the bsd one. While it's now sorta pointless to store
"don't evert start" info in there, it's still useful for other init
script configurations.

ssh is horribly behind the times with its silly file.

--
see shy jo