Re: about the debian way

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 07:05:00PM +0100, Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:
> > I particularly appreciate the suspend mode, with it it is very fast to
> > power on and off the machine (a few secs).
>
> Yes, that would be nice. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on my laptop.
> Apparantly, I could get it to work if I update the BIOS, but I'm not
> really comfortable doing that.

You should really do that.
I have done it a few times with my toshiba.
I trust them (toshiba) to be carefull enough to do it right.

> > You really can run a 'find /' without noticing it in other apps ?
>
> Well, I just tried. It's not perfect, but it's not really bad either. I
> can see how it could be irritationg if it happens when you just want to
> get started quickly after a resume.
>
> > My computer is a amd K6-2 300MHz with 96MB. It is not so bad execpt for
> > the harddrive.
>
> I have a 366 Celeran, with 96MB also. Could be the harddrive, indeed.

It is the harddrive and the 2.4 kernel which has a virtual memory system
better that it was a few release ago but still not perfect.
Also because I power off very rarely I have my favorite app running (ie
I am always in a situation where swap is used).

> You may want to try and set a longer delay before anacron kicks in. I
> think you can set that in /etc/anacrontab.

what I really would like is a way to do all the cron tasks slowly by
limiting io and cpu used but I can't see a way to do that properly.

Christophe